Muscle Car Cruise Night 72
|(This image has less resolution than the print.)|
Set in 1972, this painting captures the final days of the "hot" car era. The cars featured in the scene include a '72 Chevelle SS, which was already downgraded to a slightly "cooler" engine than previous years, a '72 Ford Gran Torino, a '57 Chevy panel truck, and a '67 Pontiac GTO. The setting is the Muscle Car Cruise Night at the College Street Pig Stand #49 in Beaumont, Texas.
The painting also includes a number of cultural references from the time period. The Ford Gran Torino, for example, was featured in the movie of the same name, in which Clint Eastwood tells a young man "You need just three things to get along in this world: Vise-Grips, Duct Tape, and WD-40!" The painting also includes a reference to the popular TV show M.A.S.H., with Corporal Radar O'Reilly and his Teddy Bear hidden in the scene. Additionally, the painting includes a reference to the gas shortages that would soon be caused by the OPEC oil embargo the following year.
Overall, this painting provides a nostalgic look at the cars and culture of the early 1970s, capturing the final days of the "hot" car era and the impact that the impending oil embargo would have on the country.
Trivia1. Find the couple celebrating their 1st wedding anniversary. (she's wearing a white corsage). Maybe, like many others, they met here.
2. Radar O Reilly and his teddy bear are checking out the Chevelle SS
3. Is that Clint Eastwood holding a can of WD-40? (can you find his birth date?)
4. The Dallas Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in 1972. Find the Star.
5. The bumper sticker expression; "An Oil Well a Day Keeps OPEC Away!" is on a sign in this painting.
6. Speaking of oil, three major companies built refineries in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area. Do you see their signs?
7. Reportedly, the last Pontiac rolled off the assembly line on this date...
8. Two other Pig Stand paintings are in THIS painting.
9. And, of course, the artist's first car, a 1941 Cadillac makes a cameo appearance in EVERY "Moments to Remember" scene!...have fun!
Description by the Artist
Watch this video presentation by the artist describing the painting process, the research, and the hidden trivia in the painting.
The original painting is 36x24" on masonite panel, completed in 2014.
We have partnered with Fine Art America to distribute all our
works. Their Art Prints are manufactured using professional
quality inks and acid free papers. They can also print Canvas,
Acrylic, Metal, and Wood!